The website for the African Nature Based Tourism platform (the “Website”) is hosted by the Regional Centre for Mapping of Resources for Development (RCMRD).
RCMRD is hereafter referred to as “We” or “Us”.
This Policy applies to all persons who access the Website (hereafter referred to as “Users” or “you”) and to all personal data that We process.
We value your personal data and are committed to protecting your privacy whenever you interact with Us. This Policy contains our policies, processes and procedures regarding the processing of your personal data. This Policy explains how your personal data is collected, used, managed and transferred by Us and how to update any of your personal data.
Any violation of this Policy may result in, among other things, termination or suspension of your rights to use the Website.
Changes to this Policy
We may update this Policy at any time without notice to you, by posting such changes on the Website. We encourage you to periodically review this Policy to be informed of how We are protecting your information. Your continued use of this website following the posting of changes to this Policy will mean you accept those changes.
If you use this website, various personal information may be collected. Information transmission through the internet can be subject to security vulnerabilities and it is not possible to completely protect your information against access by third parties. We shall nevertheless adhere to recognised information security practices in order to secure your information.
Copyright and Use of Materials
General content from the Website is owned by Us and our partners. You agree to not alter or remove any copyright symbol or other identification concerning authorship of any of the material contained on or otherwise made available to you from the Website. You may not reproduce, prepare derivatives, distribute, or display any copyrighted material from the Website without express permission from the copyright holder.
Interactive Areas and User Materials
This Website may include articles, user-generated content or other interactive areas or services (“Interactive Areas”), in which you or other users create, post or store any content (“User Materials”). You are solely responsible for your use of such Interactive Areas and use them at your own risk. By using any Interactive Areas, you agree not to post, upload to, transmit, distribute, store, create or otherwise publish through the Website any of the following:
- User Materials that are unlawful, libellous, defamatory, obscene, pornographic, indecent, lewd, suggestive, harassing, threatening, invasive of privacy or publicity rights, abusive,, fraudulent or otherwise objectionable;
- User Materials that would constitute, encourage or provide instructions for a criminal offense, violate the rights of any party or otherwise create liability or violate any local, state, national or international law;
- User Materials that may infringe any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright or other intellectual or proprietary right of any party;
- User Materials that impersonate any person or entity or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation with a person or entity;
- Promotions, advertising or solicitations;
- Viruses, corrupted data or other harmful, disruptive or destructive files; and
- User Materials that, in the sole judgment of the implementing partners, are objectionable or which restricts or inhibits any other person from using or enjoying the Interactive Areas or the Website, or which may expose the implementing partners or its users to any harm or liability of any type.
We are not liable for any statements, representations or User Materials in any Interactive Area. We have no obligation to screen, edit or monitor any of the User Materials posted in any Interactive Area, the implementing partners are not liable for any statements, representations or User Materials in any Interactive Area. We reserve the right, and have absolute discretion, to remove, screen or edit any User Materials posted or stored on the Website at any time and for any reason without notice.
We do not claim ownership of User Materials. By disclosing User Materials on the Website, you grant Us a non-exclusive, worldwide, royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable and sub-licensable right to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform and display such User Materials on or in connection with the Website and other promotional materials. By posting or submitting User Materials to any Interactive Areas or other portions of the Website, you grant Us the right to use the name that you submit in connection with such User Materials.
In addition, by disclosing User Materials on the Website, you represent and warrant that:
- you own and control all of the rights to the User Materials that you post or you otherwise have the right to post such User Materials to the Website;
- the User Materials are accurate and not misleading; and
- use and posting of the User Materials you supply does not violate the Terms of this Policy and will not violate any rights of or cause injury to any person or entity.
General Use. By using the Website, you agree that We may collect, store, and process your personal data if it is necessary for any of our legitimate interests in operating the Website and so long as its use is fair, balanced and does not unduly violate your rights. We do not sell, rent or lease your personal data to third parties.
Automatic Data Collection. By using the Website, you agree that we may collect data about your computer hardware and software that is automatically provided to Us by the server. This data may include: your IP address, browser type, domain names, access times and referring website addresses. This information may be used by Us for the operation of the Website, to maintain quality of the Website, and to provide general statistics regarding use of the Website.
Personal Data Protection Principles. In the processing of personal data, we are guided by the following principles set out in the Data Protection Act (No. 24 of 2019). We strive to ensure that personal data is:
- processed in accordance with your right to privacy;
- processed lawfully, fairly and in a transparent manner;
- collected for explicit, specified and legitimate purposes and not further processed in a manner incompatible with those purposes;
- adequate, relevant, limited to what is necessary in relation to the purposes for which it is processed;
- collected only where a valid explanation is provided whenever information relating to family or private affairs is required;
- accurate and, where necessary, kept up to date;
- kept in a form which does not identify you for longer than is necessary for the purposes which it was collected; and
- not transferred outside of Kenya unless we have evidence of adequate data protection safeguards in the other country or We have obtained your consent.
Specific Uses. By using this Website, you agree We may process your personal data to understand your interests in the Website, communicate with you, provide you further information about the Website, respond to your requests, process any applications you make, fulfil any obligations we have to you, pursue our legitimate interests, conduct research or such other purposes as are communicated to you in advance.
By using this Website, you agree We may transfer and/or disclose your personal data to third parties:
- if required to do so by law or where we believe in good faith that such action is necessary to: (a) conform to the edicts, or spirit, of the law or comply with legal process served on Us or the site; (b) protect and defend Our rights or property; and (c) act under exigent circumstances to protect the personal safety of Users or the public;
- if requested to do so by any governmental agency or investigative body;
- to detect and protect against fraud or any technical or security vulnerabilities;
- to our professional advisers to obtain their advice; or
- to respond to an emergency.
Storage of your Personal Data. We will keep your personal data for as long as we need it for processing purposes. We will actively review the personal data we hold and delete it securely, or anonymise it where possible, when there is no longer a legitimate need for it to be retained.
Rights of Users. You have the following rights in relation to your personal data:
- Right to access: you have the right to request information about the personal data we hold on you at any time. Please contact Us and we will provide you with your personal data via e-mail.
- Right to rectification: you have the right to request rectification of your personal data if the information is incorrect, including the right to have incomplete personal data completed.
- Right to erasure: You have the right to erase any personal data processed by Us at any time except for the following situations:
- if you have an ongoing matter with Us;
- if you are suspected or have misused our services within the last four years; or
- if you have used our services or have been a beneficiary of any funds dispersed by Us, we will keep your personal data book-keeping purposes.
- Right to object to direct marketing: You have the right to object to direct marketing, including profiling analysis made for direct marketing purposes. You can opt out from Our direct marketing by following the instructions in Our marketing e-mails.
- Right to complain to a supervisory authority: if you believe We have abused or improperly processed your personal data please contact Us so We may investigate the matter. You have the right to complain to the relevant authority.
Security. We maintain policies and procedures in order to comply with the relevant and applicable data protection law(s). Any of your personal data that stored with Us shall be kept private and confidential and we shall make every effort to ensure that your personal data is secure. We require all staff and third parties who carry out any work on Our behalf to comply with Our security standards to protect your personal data. Any unauthorized collection, processing, or use of personal data by is prohibited.
Employees are forbidden to use personal data for private or commercial purposes, to disclose it to unauthorized persons, or to make it available in any other way. We shall inform Our employees at the start of the employment relationship about the obligation to protect data secrecy. This obligation shall remain in force even after employment has ended.
The measures we take to safeguard your personal data include:
use of the latest cyber security capabilities; and
encryption, pseudonymising and/or anonymising personal data.
The technical and organizational measures for protecting personal data are part of our data security management and are adjusted continuously to adjust to the technical developments and organizational changes.
We do not knowingly collect, process or store any personal information belonging to children. All users of the Website must be eighteen years or older.
We seek feedback from our users in order to improve the service offered by the Website. However, you agree not to transmit any material that is unlawful, harmful, defamatory, abusive, threatening, vulgar or obscene. Please note that we cannot answer all the feedback we received but it does not in any way affect your access to the Website.
Links to other sites
This Website contains links to other sites for your convenience and this should not be construed as constituting any endorsement or approval of any kind. We take reasonable care in linking websites but have no direct control over the content of the linked sites, or the changes that may occur to the content on those sites. It is the responsibility of the user to make his/her own decisions about the accuracy, safety, security, reliability and correctness of information contained in linked external websites.
We are not responsible for the privacy or security practices or the content of any external websites, linked or otherwise.
This Website provides information free of charge for the benefit of the public.
We do not guarantee, and accept no legal liability whatsoever, arising from or connected to, the accuracy, reliability, currency or completeness of any material contained on this Website or on any linked site, except as otherwise required by applicable law.
You agree to defend, indemnify and hold Us and our partners harmless from and against any claims, losses, liabilities and/or damages made or sustained by third parties arising out of or related to your use of the Website and your breach or alleged breach of this Policy.
Governing Law, Disputes
Any dispute, controversy or claim arising under or pursuant to these Terms and Conditions shall be settled by mutual agreement between the Us and the User.
If We are unable to reach agreement amicably the dispute, controversy or claim shall be submitted to binding arbitration.
If you have any questions about any of these terms and conditions please contact Us at: AfricaNBTPlatform@rcmrd.org. Please note that if you raise any issue with us, we will process your personal information provided to Us by you for the purposes of processing and resolving the complaint.